Thursday, July 24, 2008

Queen of Spades

Okay, last Polyvore collage for a bit. I based this one loosely on these books I used to read called Royal Diaries. They were imagined diaries of princesses like Cleopatra and Elizabeth I. The had gilded pages and intricate designs so as a Middle Schooler I was immediately drawn in.


So this would be my take on Cleopatra. In the book she had a Jaguar/Leopard named arrow. I wanted one so bad. Then a couple years ago my sister go this giant stuffed jaguar and I adopted it. So the basics for Cleo are simple gladiator sandals, armbands (possibly asp shaped), chunky collar-like, necklaces, wispy dresses, and Egyptian prints like reeds and sun circles. (To get a more casual Egyptian look there's a great T-Shirt on Threadless that is black with a crazy rainbow techno eagle/falcon collar printed on it)

This is my take on Ch'iao Kuoa. I've never really heard of her so this could also be Empress Cixi/communist China. Staples include mandarin collars, mary janes, colorful boots (a la lotus shoes whithout the horrible disfigurement), and paper parasols.

This is my take on Jahanara. I'm not sure she was real but apparently she was related to Mumtaz Mahal. I do know that the Taj Mahal was made for Mumtaz so, that's something. For this look I'd go with bangles, patchwork bag, flats with low edges near the arch, and loose tunic shirts with embroidery.

This would be my poor interpretation of Elizabeth I. Medieval styles are harder to modernize than I expected. In the book she is pictured in russets and wine reds, and since her flower is the Tudor rose I tried to work that in. The dress with the giant bow is the closest I found to imitating the volume and style of her dress. But the skirt and ruffly shirt also evoke the big lace collars that Elizabeth was fond of wearing. So for trying to imitate this I would go with warm colors and clean lines in addition to simple golden accessories. But all in all try to think queenly thoughts. Elizabeth was the queen when Shakespeare flourished so keep it classy.

This hopefully reminds you of Marie Antoinette. In my book she is dressed in light blue and that's the color that comes to my mind when I think of her. So the dress in the left hand corner I absolutely love because of the lacy details. The dress in the right corner would be more of a playing-around-on-her-little-farm outfit. Diamonds and pearls are just sweet and girly, and represent Marie's twee and delicate style.
Okay, there wasn't any book on Jackie. But she and JFK were referred to as Camelot and she really does have the class and composure of a queen. For this basics in multiple colors are a must. Cardigans and high-neck, low-back dresses, and dark pants and tortoise shell glasses and pearls are what come to my mind. Also, for those able, pillbox-esque hats would be the perfect accessory to top off the look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow really cool collages, you did a good job capturing all women! love the marie one the most, definitely looks like her