Wednesday, July 30, 2008

ABC

So. I've been working at my school library most of July and every time I go shelf reading I pick up like five new books, movies, or CDs. I already told you about the interesting fashion books (history of stripes and the disappearance of hats) so I've got a few more awesome books that I highly recommend.
(this is my school's library. pretty neat, huh?)
First off, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It is written in the style of letters and is just the most adorable thing. This kid in the 90's is quiet and reads a lot and has some psychological troubles but it's absolutely genius.
Second, I've been reading Sense and Sensibility on and off and I really can't connect to the characters as well as I did to the characters of Pride and Prejudice. But I've still got high hopes for Emma so I shan't give up on Jane Austen.
Last, I just finished Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. It's narrated by Biff who tells all about Jesus' (or Joshua as Biff calls him) life before he turned thirty. Apparently, Joshua and Biff travelled all over the world to study with the three Magi and Joshua and Biff learn Kung Fu, Jew-do, how to multiply food and drink, and a bunch of other hilarious stuff. I highly recommend it.

So on a less funny note (or maybe more funny depending on how you think I look in this outfit) I have wandered into the land of big belted things. I originally bought this shirt as part of a costume for Frenchie from Grease. I figured, ah, what the hell, it's $3.00, I'll probably never wear it again. Then I belted it under the rib cage and decided it didn't look so bad.

Apple bag from Delia's. Have yet to actually use it since I'm fond of my canvas MJ tote bag but I'll get around to it.
Shoes from Urban Outfitters that were my exasperated purchase in lieu of real espadrilles. I haven't found the perfect pair yet although a pair from Wal-Mart looks promising...

Last thought, The Talented Mr. Ripley is the creepiest thing EVER. I thought it might have at least a little comedy in it but it is full-on creepitude. I mean the acting is good and all and Jude Law and Jack Davenport (the commander officer guy from POTC) is wicked  cute. But this guy is seriously messed up.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute bag, love the little coin pouch in it :)

thanks for the book recs

and i know exactly what you mean about ripley! i wasn't sure if i could finish watching it, but let's just say (to not spoil it for others who may be reading this) that once umm we no longer see anymore of jude i was hooked and couldn't help but watch. and THAT was jack davenport!? woah cool!