Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Gloves: Not just for butlers and Mickey Mouse






I recently found a pair of cute little white gloves in my attic and promptly lost them today. So in the memory of my dearly departed gloves I'm doing a gloves post. 
There are basically three kinds of gloves: gloves, fingerless gloves, and mittens.
Gloves apparently go all the way back to the Odyssey (protecting someone from brambles). Then of course you've got you gauntlets for protection in battle.
Then around the 13th century ladies decided that gloves were no longer things for men and commoners (as ladies often do) and turned them into accessories. In the 16th century the style caught on and Elizabeth I was the trendsetter. She would make a show of taking them off and putting them on to direct attention towards her gorgeous hands.
Guys eventually decided they needed hand candy as well and Kings and Princes wore them around. They even have special Pope gloves. 
Here are some lovely examples:




And here are some stylish people from FAK! and Facehunter that know that I'm not crazy to be praising gloves:




No comments: